Hudson Condominium Building
Hudson Belk built the original four-story department store in 1939 and a six-story addition in 1962. It was later sold and converted to retail space on the first floor and condominiums above. A critical design feature that Raleigh firm Clearscapes implemented was to cut out a square section of the building from the second floor and above on the Wilmington Street side. This allowed for the addition of lots of glass in all units.
The original building had no discernible lateral bracing system to resist wind and earthquake forces. In addition, two floors were added to the 1939 building so it would be the same height as the 1962 addition. Consequently, we added new bracing systems throughout the building to resist wind and earthquake forces mandated by the building code and reinforced the original 1939 structure for the addition of two floors.